The title for my next book has gone through quite the transformation. It began as Being Bonnie, the sequel to Becoming Bonnie (Book 1). And while Book 2 is still a sequel, it's very much a book that can stand on its own (without first having read Becoming Bonnie).
My publishing team and I have gone through a few different titles, but I'm excited/happy to announce we have a final title: Side By Side. This title was inspired by Bonnie's real-life poem, The Trail's End, and in particular, these few lines:
"Some day they'll go down together
they'll bury them side by side.
To few it'll be grief,
to the law a relief
but it's death for Bonnie and Clyde."
I hope you're getting excited! I sure am, especially for seeing the final cover (coming soon)!
On this day in history, May 23rd, Bonnie and Clyde's twenty-two month life on the lam came to an end in a flurry of bullets.
Today, I'll be taking part in a #BonnieAndClydeVersary event where I'll be talking Bonnie and Clyde and also about my novel, Becoming Bonnie, which tells the coming-of-age story of how Bonnie Parker becomes half of the infamous crime duo during the 1920s. See below for various essays, giveaways, interviews, and excerpts.
Giveaway of Becoming Bonnie on Amazon
Giveaway of Becoming Bonnie with Suzy Approved Book Reviews
Chapter 3 of Becoming Bonnie and a Giveaway with Criminal Element
Review of Becoming Bonnie and a Giveaway with EvieBookish
"Bonnie and Clyde: What's in a Name?" at Heroes & Heartbreakers
"The Bonnie and Clyde from Becoming Bonnie" at Women Writer's
"Bonnie Parker: Rebel with a Cause?" at We So Nerdy
"The Aesthetics of the 1920s within Becoming Bonnie" at Jorie Loves a Story
"15 Questions for Bonnie Parker Pre-Clyde" at the Debutante Ball
History from a Woman's Perspective sits down with Jenni L. Walsh
Jenni L. Walsh in conversation with Leah DeCesare
Audra McElyea interviews Jenni L. Walsh
Bonnie and Clyde photos, more giveaways, and other anniversary/Becoming Bonnie goodies:
It's all because of the wonderful (so wonderful) support and excitement over Becoming Bonnie that I can announce: there's going to be a sequel, Being Bonnie!
I adore this story and these characters and I cannot wait to share the second half with my soon-to-be readers, which will focus on the depression desperation of Bonnie and Clyde, and the crime spree that made them world-famous American outlaws.
Becoming Bonnie hits shelves on May 9, 2017 and Being Bonnie will follow in the summer of 2018. Being Bonnie is up on Goodreads here, if you'd be so kind to add!
If you haven't yet added Becoming Bonnie on Goodreads, you can do so here! Becoming Bonnie is also available for preorder, including options for signed hardcovers. Please also consider signing up for my newsletter. I'm sending out the first one soon, and there may be some exclusive content and a giveaway of (hint, hint) this mug...
Now, finally, the official announcement from Publisher's Weekly!
Thank you, again. I'm so excited to share my version of Bonnie and Clyde's infamous story with you all! Also, sending so much gratitude to my agent, editor, and publisher for making my dreams a reality <3
Advance Review Copies (ARCs) of Becoming Bonnie have arrived at the Tor/Forge offices! That means Bonn is also en route to some amazing bloggers, reviewers, and book fanatics. I hope you'll be a fanatic for Bonn, like these amazing readers!
If you got your hands on Becoming Bonnie early, feel free to send me your photos or tag me on twitter or facebook, and I'll add it to the slideshow. I also hope you'll help me spread the word about Bonn, and here's a few simple ways how:
1. Review it. If you're on Goodreads, please rate Bonn on there. After the release, I'd be very appreciative if you copied your review to Amazon, B&N, and any other onliner retailers you frequent.
2. Preorder it. If you'd like a published copy of Becoming Bonnie for your collection, check out these preorder options. If you want a signed hardcover, place an order with Newtown Bookshop by calling 215-968-2400. They're my local indie and I'll be dropping in to add my John Hancock.
3. Share it. Do you have someone you'd think will enjoy Bonn? Go ahead and tell 'em about Becoming Bonnie. Even better, you can gift it and preorder a copy for your friends and family.
4. Pass it along. I'd love for your local indie to stock Becoming Bonnie on their shelves when she releases on May 9, 2017. Drop off your ARC to give your bookseller an idea of what my book is all about. Hopefully they'll love it, too, and stock it on their shelves after Bonn releases.
5. Request it. Even prior to a book's release, you can request for a library to purchase it. Plus, doing so is a free way you can help an author!
6. Have fun with it. I made this fun, little quiz. It tells you which character of Bonnie and Clyde's gang you most align with. So.... who'd you get?
So many thanks for reading Becoming Bonnie and for your support!
Take the quiz below, then be sure to share your results!
Give me a moment to catch my breath after writing that headline.
My agent, Stacey Glick, joked, "when it rains, it pours," and that's because only four days after selling Becoming Bonnie to Bess Cozby at Tor/Macmillan, Edyson Entertainment said they'd like to extend an offer to make Becoming Bonnie into a TV series.
Seeing your novel on TV or in film is every author's dream and I am beside myself with giddiness to *maybe* one day see Bonnie, Clyde, Blanche, and Buck come to life on the small screen.
I don't have many details to share right now, but I'll be sure to provide updates if/when they become available.
In the meantime, here's the official TV option announcement from Publishers Weekly!